Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reading List


I’ve been reading this book about the Zombie World War.  It’s pretty diverting for those times that I don’t have the energy to go out and meet more new people.  I’m having enough trouble remembering the names of the ones I have met!  Anyway, zombies basically invade the whole world and everyone is scrambling to get away.  A lot of the book is devoted to how people survived without transportation, communication, electricity and supermarkets.  You know, the stuff most of us take for granted, well, that is, unless you’re living in a bure by the beach in Fiji!
I’ve only been at site seven days and really haven’t had a ton of time (or energy – got another head cold) to explore, but one thing that’s impressed me is how little you really need to live (sort of) comfortably here.  Yeah, the water pressure might be low, but we all have toilets.  Why do you need a gas stove (which I have) when you can cook on an open fire (which I don’t have).  The kaivalagi wants a compost pile?  Send some boys over to make one from spare bamboo poles (took them less than a half hour!).  Not sure what to have for dinner?  Go fishing, gather some clams, pick some eggplant from the garden, have it with some taro leaves (delicious!) and some cassava.  All this within 100 meters of my house!
There is electricity in my village, but not every house has it.  I don’t yet.  Cooking in the dark with a kerosene lamp is something that’s not quite routine for me yet.  Nor is washing dishes in a plastic basin and going outside to dump it.  I can’t say I’m anywhere near good at fishing – let alone cleaning, scaling and cooking the fish!  But these are those minor adjustments that make the Peace Corps awesome.  I wouldn’t change it – especially when living this life means I get to live here!
I finished the zombie book and am trying to decide what to read next.  Compared to training I’ve got a ton of fee time and I’m not feeling particularly productive – especially as much of my energy is devoted to learning this new style of housekeeping. I’m thinking about picking up the Peace Corps issued book on community assessment.  That’s what I’m supposed to do these first 3 months anyway.
Until I finish my assessment: my initial impression coming to the village was the overwhelming generosity they showed to a complete stranger.  My house, a one room traditional thatch bure right on the beach was so lovely I couldn’t believe they’d built it just for me.  The welcoming celebration lasted all night – fueled by grog (kava), music and dancing.  Since then there has been no end to the random gifts of bananas, papayas, cakes and full meals, and it seems every day someone is coming to make adjustments to my house.  The children are curious and always eager to play.  Everyone else is curious, too, just not so openly.  I know they’re all waiting to see what I’ll do.  I’m just curious to see if I live up to their expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment