Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Last Days of Training


We finally got site announcements!  The staff surprised us with it a day early and it was truly the most exciting day in Fiji so far – beating out even the opening ceremony of the new US Embassy and meeting the Ambassador (last Tuesday).   It turns out that none of us are headed for Kadavu or the Yasawas or Lau.  The 25 of us are spread out over Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, the two main islands, with three on Ovalau, a smaller island between the two (and the site of the former capital of Fiji).  I’m right on the coast on Savusavu Bay (Vanua Levu).  I’m the first volunteer at my village (most people are replacing a volunteer), so no one knows anything about my site!
Embassy Opening - Some of my PC friends are visible in the audience.
This morning when I went for a long run (for which I got disapproving looks with pursed lips – girls aren’t supposed to run alone – especially when it might still be dark out), I headed up to Toboniqio where some other PC trainees live.  Dan and Colin had already left on their run for Naikawaqa Koro to watch the sunrise.  A week before they’d presented a Sevusevu to the village headman for the privilege of running there and watching the sunrise.  By the time I arrived, the sunrise was in full glory mode, shining rays of light through the clouds onto the ocean below.  We sat around on the cliff overlooking the mangroves the outer islands and the Pacific watching fruit bats glide down below and talking about leaving for our sites on Monday.  This was the last chance we’d have to visit this amazing place.  In a few minutes we headed back down the hilly, muddy track, just a twenty-minute run back to Toboniquio not looking back at the small town we may never see again.  We’ve been here only six weeks and I already feel like I’m leaving so much behind.
Sunrise in Naikawaqa
Yesterday I borrowed a phone and called Bubba.  He’s the Peace Corps Volunteer serving with his wife in a village near where I’ll be heading next week.  When I called he was on a bus with the village head man of my new village and had some news about my house.  Apparently they’d just finished tatching the roof and walls and were hanging the doors that day.  Bubba went to have a look today to make sure I’ll have electricity.  Most importantly, I hear there’s a beautiful white sand beach just 10 yards from my bure!
I’m being torn in two.  I can’t wait to get to site!  Can I take pieces of Naitasiri with me?
At a grog circle in Kasavu


No comments:

Post a Comment