Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Time Warp

Did you know Fiji's right on the international date line?  Well, on the 180th meridian, anyway.  In fact there's a tiny corner in the east of my island, Vanua Levu, where it is permanently yesterday.  Actually the date line was moved in this area of the South Pacific and now passes to the east of Fiji, it kind of jogs around Fiji and Tonga the same way it does to the west of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, but some of the maps show the dateline going right through the island.  In any case, Fiji is supposed to have the first sunrise in the world, though I think it's a silly thing to boast about (Kiribati - pronounced KIRR-i-bas by the way - moved the dateline to ITS east in 1998 or so and now has the first sunrise rather than the last).


While Fiji may be big on it’s premier sunrise location, on the things Fijians are not big on is punctuality.  They call the standard tardiness “Fiji Time.”  But tardiness isn’t the point.  The point is that there are things that are more important than being on time.  Plus, there isn’t much to do today that couldn’t really be done tomorrow, so too brief encounters with friends and relatives or hurrying off to be in another place are unnecessary.
This is something the new Country Director of Peace Corps – Fiji realizes.  He came up north recently to talk with the volunteers and the divisional heads of various government departments.  He kept his schedule very flexible and stressed to the volunteers that he may not arrive on time, depending on whether there were customs he needed to observe (drinking grog) at other sites.  As far as I know he was on time everywhere, but I’ve heard there have been other Peace Corps staff that have missed meetings altogether because of such customs and the notion of Fiji Time. 
At a tikina meeting (like a meeting of all the mayors in a county hearing about goings on at the national level) I was sitting with a newly appointed Roko (a representative from the National Government to the people at the local level) and he told me that he enjoyed the drinking grog and socializing part of the meeting best because he could get to better understand the people.  He mentioned that because of this part of the meeting they never knew when they would get home.  They could drink yaqona for half and hour or for three hours – but they weren’t doing nothing.  At the time I was a little antsy, however, because I was getting a ride with the Rokos to Savusavu where there was a Rotary Club meeting I needed to be at.  In the end everything worked out and I realized I just needed to embrace another Fijian truism: “Maka Leka” or no worries (No wonder “Hakuna Matata” plays constantly on the radio here). 
But it is difficult for me to give up my notions of finite time.  This, I believe, has much to do with latitude (and climate and other stuff…) Besides in the cities and towns where people have schedules, jobs and deadlines, time passes quite differently in Fiji than it does anywhere I’ve been.  Days seem to roll into one another; weeks and months glide by without being accounted for.  And suddenly I’ve been in Fiji for six months.  It’s my theory that being so close to the equator and with no real distinction between seasons (at least not like the planting, growing, harvest and rest cycle of the North) and with the same staple foods available year round, it would be easy to oblivious of time.  If food is available, if you have no need to make stores for the winter and if everything is good – then there is really nothing that NEEDS to be done at any given time, nothing that couldn’t wait a day, a week, a month or 15 years (which is how long it took to build the church in the village).  And so Fiji Time is born.
Being from a land twice as far from the equator with distinct seasons, time here feels stale as if it has been summer too long.  And I feel like I’m constantly waiting for fall.  Yesterday I heard a Christmas song on the radio and was shocked to realize the holidays are right around the corner despite having Thanksgiving plans for next week.  I’m not sure if time here sneaks up on Fijians as it does me.  But as far as I know there are not traditional seasonal celebrations (at least there weren’t before Methodists brought Christmas and Easter).  It leaves me wondering what time was like in Fiji before Europeans brought their calendars with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment